Friday, April 8, 2011

Taylor Hicks ~~ The Ryman!


The Ryman in Nashville was the last concert added to Birmingham Week, 2007. I asked our group if we’d be going to Nashville, and I was told that if I didn’t go to Nashville, I’d be left behind.

I didn’t need persuading.

I didn’t see much of Nashville, arriving early afternoon and leaving early the next morning for the drive to Atlanta, the next stop. But I was there to see The Ryman and Taylor Hicks.

The Ryman is a block off Music Row up a rather steep hill. I knew that Taylor had spent a dismal year there. In his autobiography, Heart Full of Soul, he describes his lonely, unsuccessful days in Nashville. After a year of dead ends, he went back to Birmingham and hit the road throughout the South going wherever he and his band could play a gig.

However, he did write music there during that time—he says some of his best.

And he still is writing music in Nashville.

He recently told Nashville radio host, Ashley Mann, that he’s moving back in June where he has already been doing some songwriting for his next album planned for release in late fall. He also worked in Nashville on current CD, The Distance, collaborating with songwriters Gary Nicholson and Tom Hambridge.

This week he joined the Nashville music community for a good cause.

Taylor Hicks, the musician, appeared last night on stage at the Ryman with country music superstar, Vince Gill, his superstar wife, Amy Grant, and Taylor’s mentor and friend, KebMo. It was Vince Gill and Friends’ Jammin’ to Beat the Blues Benefit to raise money and awareness for Mental Health Association of Middle Tennessee.

What a difference the years make. Walking up the hill in front of the Ryman in 2007, I captured a picture of the Taylor Hicks tour bus parked next to the church that became the iconic center of country music. We sat in the church pews that are uniquely Ryman. It’s a small venue compared to the auditoriums and historic theatres.

It seems like a long time ago now. In 2007, Taylor Hicks at the Ryman was on his first National Solo Tour. Last night, he was on stage jamming with superstars.

We all have touchstones by which we judge. I would never presume to know, but the Ryman might be a touchstone for Taylor Hicks with which he measures success…

The Ryman is my touchstone for times that were truly memorable.

I’m really glad I didn’t miss it.

Stay tuned for more of Taylor Hicks in Nashville!


And see Taylor Hicks live in concert~~ Check the schedule and venues to the right!



Photo by beverlynBama: Taylor Hicks at The Ryman, March 8, 2007

3 comments:

Gypsee said...

Great blog entry! I have never been to the Ryman, but would so love to have my first time there to be at a Taylor Hicks concert!

Anonymous said...

I remember that hill where the Ryman perched proudly . The image of a forlorn Taylor, walking slowing with slumped shoulders down that hill when juxtapositioned with the image of an ebullient Taylor, walking quickly with head held high up that hill , brings a smile to my face.

Here's to the hills yet to be conquered.

cath

tishlp said...

When Taylor does another concert at The Ryman I will be there for sure! I've never been to The Ryman or to Nashville. I would really love to take a trip there, but especially to see Taylor on that stage.