Thursday, October 1, 2009

That Legendary Music Icon ... Ellen ???

If you are a seasoned old timer like me, you long ago realized that AI is less about a "singing competition" and more about making some 19 and Sony/BMG folks richer.

It's about the ratings, stupid !!

AI could not have said it clearer than when they recently announced the addition of Ellen Degeneres to the judging panel. I'm sure Ellen loves music, probably owns some CD's, and certainly has the power to promote anyone she chooses. What I'm not sure about is what exactly qualifies her to judge musical acumen. She doesn't sing, doesn't produce, doesn't write or do any of the things that would give her musical opinion any credibility.

What Ellen does do is bring star power. She comes on the tail of a long time, highly rated talk show with lots of viewers. And there is the rub ... drawing new viewers and saving the ratings that have begun to slide since Season 5. She has shown her ability (a la Clive Davis) to tell America they got it wrong.

Be sure to check out this great blog piece for a deeper look into what Ellen brings to AI:

Idolizing Ellen
http://www.writeonnewjersey.com/2009/09/idolizing-ellen/

By the way, if you don't know, Rewind of Season 5 is just starting to air. Watch Taylor's victory again, even sweeter now that you have followed him and know his story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Taylor won AGAIN. You're kidding me. I thought maybe the results had changed. Bad Me !!

Ellen will, indeed, bring an initial ratings boost to AI. Will the finalists have any more success than past winners? I don't think Ellen will have anything to do with the market place nor the ability of the winners to launch a musical career ( exception, they will get prime exposure on the Ellen TV Show ) Will the success of the American Idol show via the advertising dollar be enough for the producers of American Idol , the franchaise? I am thinking , yes !!

Follow the money trail !!

cath

Gr8fulheart said...

I have mixed feelings about watching this again.
The 'up-side' is I'll be able to 'see' Taylor in a whole new view. Watching his journey once again & maybe even, appreciating him even more so.
The 'down-side'? I certainly hope I don't get the urge to crawl through the tv screen in an attempt to rip Simon's lungs out! (Please note, I said that with love)...lol
I will be looking forward to seeing some of the taping that was not aired during the actual competition.
OK girls ~ Hold Me Back!