Monday, October 5, 2009

The Distance Between Us Will Fade

Last Friday and Saturday night, I watched Taylor Hicks give two of the best performances I have seen him give in all the time I have followed him. These nights were made much more special because I had the privilege of joining forces with SOS, NFF and TOSP to bring Workplay to our members who couldn’t be there via a new type of cellcert. We pulled it off, albeit with a couple of false starts and some glitches along the way … we will do it better next time, but for less than a week of coordination, we did ok.

It isn’t the cellcert I am proud of, although I am really glad we didn’t flop! It is the admin/owners from the 4 boards, boards with different members, different philosophies and definitely different opinions, putting all that aside to bring fans together to celebrate Taylor. It is the members of the four boards who embraced the idea and supported it from the word go. It is the SPIRIT I saw in everyone who participated. There wasn’t concern over what board would get credit for anything, efforts were made to share media with everyone at the cellcert as it came in, and the members interacted with people from other boards as if they were old friends. It was all the right things a fan base can be.

I got a lot of feedback from people about how great they thought it was that the boards were working together and that it was TIME. I think it’s past time, and I hope we can keep that spirit alive going into 2010.

I want to thank everyone who participated in the cellcerts, the people who expressed encouragement and offered kind words, and especially the admin teams from the other boards, as well as my own. I am proud to have been a small part of such a dedicated and enthusiastic group. I think we were all reminded how much fun it is to share the magic that is Taylor Hicks…. And Taylor was right, the distance between us DID fade away.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheers!

What was once considered a formidable achievement is now a fait accompli. To many more unions of talent and enthusiasm. It was fun, it was fortunately accomplished and it was a frantic two nights of great music and comradery .

Thanks to all who participated and to all who made it happen.

cath

san said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gr8fulheart said...

I still sit in front of my computer screen & mentally 'see' all that happened within those two fabulous nights of association in sharing music we Love & someone we adore.

Everyone was so pleasant & friendships were established in this grouping of people from the different boards. As was said: The Distance Did Fade Away.

Thanx goes out to evancol for forming a way to gather together; & to other board admins & of course, the members who joined together in making this a success. I feel honored to have been a part of this event.

What do you say? Shall we do this again? I certainly hope so!

Thanx again & until the next episode: Soul Patrol!♥

wonder said...

Wonderful blog, Evancol, and great sentiments expressed!

As weird as it might sound, while sitting at Workplay those two nights and experiencing the music live and in person, a part of me wanted to be home at my computer, participating in the cellcert.

I'm so glad all four boards were able to pull together and make this happen. As has been said, this is the way Taylor's fanbase should be - no distance between us, just the mutual joy of celebrating the man and his music. I look forwarding to do this again and again!

KarinP said...

And Taylor was right, the distance between us DID fade away.
It was exciting for me to experience the "new" cellcert especially when Taylor was in his hometown.

Glitches happen, whether it is a new or old way of doing things, but the recovery was great. Sincere thanks to everyone who was involved and seeing instantaneous media was fabulous.

Four different fan boards involved - hmmm....you know, I did not notice that at all. We were all "one" and that is how it should be. We all want the same thing - nothing but the very best for Taylor and his success.

Looking forward to meeting "friends" again during future cellcerts.

san said...

Cheers and more cheers!

Bravo to evancol and the boards' admins who had the vision that we could come together and share the magic of Taylor in Birmingham.

Bravo to all the fans who joined in hosting the cellcerts and board threads at home, feeding them from WorkPlay, and posting and sharing media across the boards.

This reminded us that together we can make a difference AND have a lot of fun!

I think this is the way it should be. Thanks to everyone who is giving their time, talents, and spirit to coming together for the man and the music!

Let's continue in the spirit of WorkPlay and do it again real soon!

Anonymous said...

Evancol, it was a pleasure to be able to join forces and bring something for everyone who couldn't be in Birmingham. These were truly special shows and to be able to share them with other fans who couldn't be there was awesome. It can only get better!

Can't wait to be able to do this again...whether being physically at the show or at home.

Peece

RagsQueen said...

Congratultions on a successful event! I'm sorry I missed out on the fun of the cellcert. I was busy enjoying the live experience!

It's nice to know that we can bridge the differences between us, even for an evening. I look forward to the time when I can participate in such a successful activity.

My hats off to those who made it happen!

Jax said...

A HUGE thanks to all involved. I could actually understand most of what Taylor was saying when he was chatting up the crowd.

The moderators did an excellent job of keeping the room pleasant to be in ... it was just a bunch of nice folks that could share the Workplay experience together even if they could not be there in person.

Thank you for working together to help what would have been a very sad night for this member of the "We Be Homers" turn into a really fun night!

jatterb said...

Thanks, Jane, for taking the time to put this together and for asking our boards to be a part of it. I look forward to being a part of any future cellcert you put together.

Unknown said...

I want to thank Evancol and Susie and everyone involved on all the boards for coming together for the New Cellcerts.

I am a huge Taylor Hicks Fan. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend the Birmingham shows as I had planned. I was very disappointed, but I was excited to listen in to the cellcerts. It's the next best thing to being there, when you can't physically be there.

I had a wonderful time talking with my friends online. We were making snacks, and listening, and commenting about how GREAT the concerts were.

Thanks to EVERYONE who made it possible for us that weren't in Birmingham.

Sincerely,
Debbie in Florida