Saturday, October 17, 2009

Taylor Hicks ~The Birmingham Blogs ~Leave me with the music


Taylor Hicks is never the star. It is the music.

Watch him on stage. He is lost in the music. He closes his eyes and channels the passion and essence of the music. He is oblivious of his own stage presence. He makes faces as the music inspires. This is not about Taylor Hicks.

It is always about the music, and the music never takes a back seat.

“I gotta be honest. For me, you can take it all, but leave me with the music.” Taylor Hicks

Now, days after WorkPlay, what remains paramount in my mind is the music—the funky sounds of “chicken pickin”, with Josh Smith, the wailing sax of Jeff Lopez, the fired up keyboards of Brian Less and the deep, emotional, and strong vocals on songs like “Maybe You Should” by Taylor Hicks.

Music industry blogger, Bob Lefsetz recently wrote about the power of the music as he attended a concert by the Hollywood Philharmonic:

“... Dudamel [orchestra conductor] did not deal with the music from a distance, he charged right in, bringing the orchestra with him. And not having attended a classical concert in eons, I didn't know they now put the conductor on the big screen, from the musicians' perspective, so you can see him in action.”

“The passion! This isn't someone searching to be famous, to get rich, it's clear he's moved by one thing only, the music! At times he jumped up and down, smiled, but when he closed his eyes in reverie to the music, seeming to channel heaven, not only were you turned on, you connected. For this is the experience of listening to one's favorite tunes.”

“The passion! This isn't someone searching to be famous, to get rich, it's clear he's moved by one thing only, the music!”

Taylor never deals with music from a distance. He dives right in and takes everyone along with him. He is moved by one thing only—the music!

Take it all…but leave me with the music. That is the real legacy of WorkPlay…music to inspire the next WorkPlay, the next song, the next journey. Music to touch our lives.

While in Birmingham, Taylor talked to Alabama Public Television Profile host, Wendy Garner, about his music saying that touching lives is what it is all about. I think that Taylor knows that when he walks off the stage, sweat pouring off his face, that he has touched lives and made them happier. He’s made himself a little bit happier too. The music is what he lives for and what challenges him—make it new, make it better, make it touch lives.

It is the magic of Taylor Hicks--touching lives through his music.

It is the greater good that trumps success, money, CD sales, or sold out venues.

Someday, I think Taylor will look back, not at how many CDs of The Distance he sold, but on places like WorkPlay and remember “Dust my Broom” with his mentor Billy Earl McClelland, and his jazzy duet with friend and musician, Ona Watson. I believe he will look back on the music and the people with whom he shared it. He will remember Brian, Josh and Jeff and the good sounds he made with people like the UAB Gospel Choir.

I believe this is how Taylor Hicks will measure his success and his time well spent. His legacy and his life’s joy will be his music and sharing it with others.

He will remember the WorkPlays.


May Taylor have many more WorkPlays.

May we all have more WorkPlays in our lives!

Thank you, Taylor and Birmingham, for WorkPlay.

Thank you, everyone, who made Birmingham memorable.

I was blessed to be there!
Photo by Natalie Goik: Taylor at WorkPlay.

10 comments:

cath said...

The first thing I noticed about a Taylor Hicks concert was that Taylor was part of the band... he wasn't bigger than his compatriots. They complimented him and he complimented them, both musically and literally.

There is little fluff in a Taylor Hicks concert. There are no smoke screens or pyrotechnics at his shows. The featured performers ( Taylor and his band ) are the only ingredients . Taylor blends them to perfection and sometimes stirs the pot with tags and riffs or a special surprise , which always makes for a great musical stew.

Never have I NOT witnessed him featuring his bandmates as significant performers in their own right and acknowledge their participation by giving them the spotlight, too.

Taylor Hicks is a giver and loyal to those who have helped him along his arduous journey.

Passionate is the perfect discription for Mr. Hicks.

TMW said...

Couldn't have said it any better. It's what I try to convey to others the reason I follow him and his music. They are one in the same. Great article. Thank you!!

TMW said...

Thought you should know that the picture posted was taken by Natalie Goik. It is featured in her album on Taylor's ning site.

san said...

Yes, thank you, TMW for pointing out the photo credit. I sincerely apologize to Natalie (rajrae). For one minute, it was not posted. I edited immediately and added her photo credit. I guess the google bot hit the search right then and that is the google alert you received! Her credit is posted now as rajrae. I did not know whether screen name or real name was preferred.

Natalie's pictures from WorkPlay are STUNNING! They are posted on Taylor Hicks ning site. Check them out! The one with the UAB Gospel Choir is on the choir's website!

Thank you, Natalie, for giving us beautiful memories from WorkPlay! Your photos are incredible!

RagsQueen said...

I have often wondered what goes on inside Taylor's head when he seems to channel the music during a performance. Not that he will ever tell!

Well written blog - Taylor is definitely into the music!

I love how a performance is about everyone with him, not just him. At Workplay, he actually walked off the stage so everyone would focus on the percussion during their hightlight! That says lot to me!

san said...

Please forgive me, Natalie and Rajrae! I have confused your pictures just about as much as possible!

I went to Taylor's ning site and looked through them again and realized that they are from different photographers.

I believe I have it sorted out, but please tell me if I am wrong again!

The picture for "Leave me with the music," is Natalie Goik's and I'm changing the photo credit in the blog!

The picture for "New Found Freedom" is rajrae or Nolamar's.

If I am still confused (which is very possible!) please tell me and accept my apology again!

At least we are sure that is it Taylor Hicks IN the photos!

:)

san said...

Have you ever had one of those WEEKS? This was it!

This comment was submitted by NolaMar and I know I hit "Publish" and moved it to my archive folder. Then I saw it today bolded which indicated I hadn't read it yet, but I had!

Anyway, ANOTHER apology! To NolaMar for somehow messing this up...I've done a great job this week! Please give me another chance to NOT! :)

Thanks for all your comments!

From NolaMar on 10/21/09:

"I think that WorkPlay will be a reference point—a milestone—that Taylor and his fans will look back to for a long time."

I couldn't' agree more. For me Workplay was an incredible climax to a summer of concerts, starting in Detroit. These summer shows were my first since my one show in 2007. I honestly hope Taylor will consider doing this (Birmingham shows)yearly. It would truly be a gift to his fans!

Natalie Goik said...

I was going through google pictures and went, wait a minute, thats my picture! But I see you credited me. Thanks for doing that :) much appreciated.

-Nat

san said...

Natalie, I wouldn't post a picture without credit. I hope it is okay that I used your gorgeous picture of Taylor from WorkPlay. If not, I will certainly remove it.

I always try to have a wonderful new picture of Taylor for the blog. Finding them is the best part of this!

Your pictures from WorkPlay were breathtaking and this is one of my favorites!

Thank you so much for sharing them! You are an incredible photographer!

San

Natalie Goik said...

Absolutly keep it up. As long as you keep me credited im happy.

thanks for the comments. glad you enjoyed the photos.

-nat