Sunday, April 5, 2009

Taylor Hicks~~in his own words...

Grease, acting, fans, touring, and performing…

When you thought Taylor Hicks couldn't do anything more, there he was in a media blitz that kept him busier than the week before. He phoned radio stations and talked; he was interviewed and he talked more. And, oh yes, he performed in “Grease.”

I thought you might like to read in one place some of the words that struck me as relevant and insightful about this extremely busy songwriter and performer. Here is Taylor Hicks in his own words.

Taylor revealed his dilemma as he traveled from Lower Alabama to New York City to star in the Broadway production of “Grease”: “What the hell am I going to wear?” So, he designed the Nudie inspired Teen Angel suit with 13,000 encrusted rhinestones! (KFOG Radio)

“Keep great musicians around you. I still keep that mentality.” He talked about the back up band on The Distance that includes members of Eric Clapton’s touring band. (KFOG)

“I’ve stayed true to myself and I’m still in the game.” (99SanFrancisco)

The music on the record is timeless. I’m very pleased about it.” (WRVR Memphis)

He described one of the “coolest moments” since American Idol: “Going into the White House and meeting the President. My ninth grade English teacher was Laura Bush’s press secretary.” (94.7 Austin)

In a discussion about lip syncing, Taylor gave an instance where it is totally unacceptable. “I can’t stand someone who lip syncs the National Anthem. I think that should be from the heart. I think it should be sung live every time.” Taylor will do just that at the San Francisco Giants’ season opener game Tuesday, April 7th. (94.7 Austin)

Taylor was asked about the enduring support of his fanbase, the Soul Patrol. “I think the main thing is touring. If you look at any great body of work by any great entertainer, you’ll always see that taking their show to the people and being on the road is the common thread in all of them. So for me, touring extensively is where you can come to a particular city and you’re going to have fans.” (CBS5 Sue Kwon Bay Sunday)

He spoke of being blessed to perform in “Grease.” “It’s the perfect fit. The more that I perform on that stage, the more that I think that being in a live theatre, and a live audience itself, fits me. It’s who I am as an entertainer.” (Bay Sunday)

In a somewhat surprising reveal, Taylor was asked what is next, and he talked about acting. His interviewer asked, “Is that something you’ll try? You have such a great presence.” “For right now, I need to stick to music. Music should be the common thread. I think sooner or later, yes. Learning the role [in “Grease”] is kind of an introduction to understanding theatre and acting." (Bay Sunday)

Taylor explained off camera to Sue Kwon on Bay Sunday that when the ice cream opens he can see the people. She asked him what it was like to see the audience. “I’m blessed to be able to have the opportunity to perform and be a working entertainer. I know what it’s like to not work as an entertainer. So that’s a key for being a performer…understanding what’s it like when you’re not able to.” (Bay Sunday)

Taylor talked about getting through the extremely busy schedule for American Idol participants and drawing strength from within. “You have to love performing and you have to love performing for nobody…to be able to perform for somebody.” (myFOX.la)


There is always the temptation to expound on Taylor’s words, but I am not going to. He speaks very well for himself… especially when he sings!


Get The Distance at Amazon.com or with bonus tracks at music retailers: Target~”Indiscriminate Act of Kindness,” Walmart~”Hide Nor Hair,” iTunes download~”Yes We Can.”

Photo: " Taylor at Roxy's" by San/TTHC~~please do not repost without permission.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're correct , there is always the temptation to expound on all things Taylor. I , like you, will just let him do "his thing" and enjoy his words, his music and his stage presence.

I hope he is able to continue doing Shadow Tours so he can bring his music "to the people".

cath

juliegr said...

No interpretation needed -- Taylor telling it like it is as he has lived it.

Thanks for the compilation of "sound bites".

:)

jerseyirsh said...

That was great, Taylor being true to himself and following his heart. Thanks for the write-up.


JI

san said...

Thanks, everyone, for reading. When I listened to and watched the media from last week, I had pages of Taylor quotes! So, I thought why not just let everyone read what Taylor had to say.

My favorite is the last one about loving to perform for nobody so you are able to perform for somebody! It confirms again his immense love for entertaining.

san

caryl said...

This was a great idea. Taylor HAS done a lot of interviews lately. Thanks for pulling some of the best quotes.

I love that photo, btw.

KarinP said...

While it must be a very hectic time for Taylor with all of these interviews, I think it is great that he is getting so much visibility.

I can't let this one pass by - loved this quote the most:

“You have to love performing and you have to love performing for nobody…to be able to perform for somebody.” (myFOX.la)

Thanks for the great blog!