Sunday, April 26, 2009

Taylor Hicks on American Idol~~I did it my way...


The Rat Pack meets Delta blues, and the real Taylor Hicks brings it to the American Idol stage this week.


Idol’s theme for the week’s competition is the Rat Pack standards, and I found the Taylor connection when I looked at the leader of this illustrious group, Frank Sinatra. He always said, “I did it my way.”


Taylor Hicks recently told an interviewer, “I’ve remained true to myself, and I’m still in the game!”


Taylor returns to American Idol Wednesday night with his game and his music—“Seven Mile Breakdown.” The new single release from his current album, The Distance, out on his own label, Modern Whomp Records is a true Taylor song from “the wrong side of Mississippi”—bluesy, Southern, and fun with swamp rock vibes from Doyle Bramhall II on slide guitar. Taylor says he has been on the wrong side of Mississippi in the hot summer.


“You know you hate being down before you ever love being up.”


Taylor can return to American Idol and love being up! No judges, no voting, and no bottom three. Of course, he never did have to endure the bottom three. On the stage Wednesday night will be the real Taylor Hicks—the Broadway star, platinum recording artist, concert performer, working musician—making a guest appearance with a new single release from his new album and “doing it his way.”


When Taylor competed in Season Five of American Idol in 2006, competitors were not permitted to play instruments. It was a singing competition, and America voted for Taylor Hicks. There was no wailing harmonica, rocking guitar, or amped up road band. Then the many dimensions of Taylor Hicks were seen on other stages. America got a lot more than it voted for!


The quintessential entertainer returns to the game where it all took off. It must be sweet! It must be a time to stand tall and say, “I’m a long way from the wrong side of Mississippi.”


“I did it my way.”


It would be interesting to see how America would vote for this Taylor Hicks.


I’m betting that America would get it right again!



Photo "Taylor at Roxy's" by san_tthc. Please do not repost without permission.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A deck of cards:

The club Taylor....

A diamond in the rough returning as the consummate professional....

Bring the harmonica to the stage and the American Idol audience will see , in spades, the musically endearing side of Taylor Hicks....

He performs from the heart and this will be evident on Wednesday night.

He's got a full deck of cards to play and I am sure he will display a winning hand.

Go get em Taylor.

cath

caryl said...

I hope he doesn't just stand alone on stage with a microphone. I'd like to see him out there with his band, with his guitar and harmonica, the way we see him in concert. THAT'S the Taylor America needs to see. They have to see how fun he is to go see live.

san said...

I also hope we get to see the full deck--Taylor and entourage! It is the real Taylor Hicks. He did harmonica on Seven Mile Breakdown at Roxy's. I'm hoping for at least that much. However, he may not have all his options open.

Stand tall, Taylor, as we know you can!!

Thanks very much for your comments!
Fire up the DVR!
Is it Wednesday yet?

sallyannlady said...

Despite what people have said over the last 3 years, there is no shame in being Taylor Hicks. He is as wonderful an entertainer and as warm a personality as he was when he first took off on this ride. He has had to bow to TPTB when he started, but now, he bows to no one. In his own words, he is where he wants to be as a performer, and that's all we as fans can ask for- Taylor as HE wants to be. I am soooo looking forward to Wednesday... I have that day off, and it's going to be the longest day of the week. No pre-empts, please!!! I want to see the judges' faces during and after the performance.

This is Taylor's nite to shine...SHINE ON, SOULMAN!!

Gr8fulheart said...

Well~Hush My Mouth! It looks like you girls have just about said everything I'm feeling! Only a couple more days & the country will SEE the real Taylor!
The judges reactions will be Very interesting. Remember the interview when Paula was remarking about how proud she was of Taylor & Taylor made some comment about 'maybe I'll see ya' there? I wonder if 'pickle-puss' will have any reaction. Hmmm?
I am certainly proud of Taylor for all he has contributed. Real Music straight from his Big Beautiful Heart!
Knock Em Dead, Taylor!♥

jerseyrish said...

I am hoping as he did when he was on Idol that he commands the stage and just sets the place on fire. Can't wait to see Simon's face, as it was said above, Taylor is a polished performer and that they can not deny. Most of all I hope he has fun going back!!


JI

san said...

We wish Taylor the best!!
I hope, too, that this is one of those times when he thinks it was worth it all. He has worked so hard to get where he is, and he continues on a killer schedule of performances and interviews. He so richly deserves this time in the sun to bask and believe that the dream lives and the best is yet to come!

Much love from your fans, Taylor!

KarinP said...

Taylor certainly has "done it his way" and I have enjoyed the journey.

Personally, I don't really care if they show the expressions on the "judges" faces - if they do that then there will be less camera time for Taylor. I am certain that the audience will be very receptive to seeing and hearing Taylor "live" on stage!

I can't think of a better way for Taylor to release a new single.

Sallyannlady, I agree with you - Wednesday is going to be a very long day.

Knock 'em dead, Taylor!