Sunday, April 12, 2009

Taylor Hicks~~An Indiscriminate Act of Kindness


I have been waiting for “An Indiscriminate Act of Kindness” from Taylor Hicks.

Before I ever heard the track, someone said that it would “blow me away.” It was more like it completed the many sides of Taylor Hicks, the entertainer and singer. It is the other end of the soul-rock-blues- spectrum—the storyteller with a raspy, expressive voice who gently touches notes and holds tones just for the moment and weaves them into a memorable narrative. It made me realize that I had wanted to hear Taylor “back off” the music with only the sound of his incredible voice and little more.

If “Badge” gave us Taylor rocking out the house, “An Indiscriminate Act of Kindness” gives us Taylor holding the house in the palm of his hand and telling a story that needs nothing but simplicity. From the first uncomplicated instrumental sounds, to the whisper of notes, to the emotional lines of “consider it an indiscriminate act of kindness, consider it an indiscriminate act of kindness,” you are drawn into the brief journey of these two people. There is an intense emotional depth to some lines and a quiet tenderness to others—“how can you be so kind...” It is a story made compelling by the voice of Taylor Hicks.

Taylor has brought an incredible voice to many songs—The Fall, Maybe You Should, Places I’ve Been, and Do I Make You Proud. An Indiscriminate Act of Kindness goes a little beyond all those to an almost indescribable place. Perhaps it is the social conscience of the story, the raw emotion, and the voice that all combine to produce music that truly touches the soul. Perhaps it is that nothing gets in the way of your seeing and hearing this story unfold. You feel like you are there in the room, and Taylor is simply sitting beside you telling a story that he is caught up in. If lyrics paint the picture, Taylor’s voice brings the picture to life.

This is a captivating track and a remarkable performance by the entertainer who gave us “Medicated Goo” and more recently, “I Live on a Battlefield”—performances that I also love!

I don’t know what the future of this song will be. For me, it is a milestone in Taylor’s recordings because of what it is not. It is an exquisite example of “less is more.” His voice does amazing things—a little bit in the same vein as “Georgia on my Mind” from his album Early Works. While “Georgia” is not one of my favorite songs, (I much prefer some other Georgia songs like Midnight Train to Georgia, or Rainy Night in Georgia), I recognized the unique qualities of Taylor’s voice on that recording.

When The Distance dropped and I headed to my Target on March 10, I was disappointed that they did not have the album in yet. I knew this was the song that I especially wanted to hear Taylor sing. I waited and was content to listen to 11 other great tracks. It took some doing the hear An Indiscriminate Act of Kindness for the first time.

I knew from the very first listen that it was exactly what I had been waiting for…pure Taylor voice. It unlocked that little corner of Taylor Hicks that I had yet to hear. In many ways, it is the most stunning performance yet by Taylor.



Get The Distance with “An Indiscriminate Act of Kindness” bonus track at Target stores!
Photo "Taylor at Roxy's" by San_TTHC. Please do not repost.

9 comments:

caryl said...

That song is one I did not expect from Taylor. It's more edgy than what he's recorded in the past. I love, love, love it. I almost feel as though I'm eavesdropping. It feels very intimate.

Nice piece. (I mean, what you wrote!)

KarinP said...

Nothing more to add - you said it all and you said it all with as much depth and emotion as the song evokes when one listens to it. I can tell that this particular song really reached out and touched you.

I really enjoyed reading your very well written blog that speaks volumes in a very quiet and personal manner which complements the ambience of the song.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

sallyannlady said...

This song took me a couple listens for it to really sink in, but it has become one of my favourites. Taylor can evoke emotions in a listener that very few singers can do nowadays- he made me cry. He made me feel like maybe I was intruding on a very private moment. Thanks, San, for writing the way you did.

cath said...

"Georgia" was sung to me, I heard the lilt, the magic of the melody when Taylor used his beautiful instrument. With "IAOK", he is speaking to me , I don't hear the musicality and I am underwhelmed.

Many people have bought into the message of this song because of the lyrics; while I believe in the message , I am turned off by the lyrics.

Without Taylor's voice , listening to this song would be a real challenge for me. He is able to transcend the lack of melody and the morose lyric and satisfy me.

I am so glad , so many, are enjoying "Indiscriminate Acts of Kindness". I just feel differently than the author of this piece, but we all agree that Taylor does justice to anything he sings.

cath

RagsQueen said...

Thanks for your take on the song. I look forward to hearing it live!

san said...

Thanks, Everyone, for your comments. "Edgy" is a good description of IAOK. This kind of music will always get mixed reactions.

I think we all agree that Taylor does any song justice and that he makes it his own.

Thanks for reading!

jerseyirish said...

The song absolutley floored me the first time I heard it, edgy does describe it well. His voice alone takes you on a journey everytime he sings, thanks for sharing your thoughts.


JI

Anonymous said...

Amazing version - but no one has given credit to the songwriter. Foy vance is an amazing singer songwriter and deserved to be mentioned

san said...

Annonymous, you are absolutely correct, and I apologize for not giving credit to Foy Vance. He is an incredible artist. I am considering an edit of this to reflect the recognition he deserves.

Thanks for making us aware of this. I appreciate your interest and truly feel remiss in omitting Mr. Vance. Again, you are totally right on!

San