Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Taylor Hicks ~~ Turning Around for the Music!



Can the singing competition shows stay true to the music?

I say I won’t, but this time of the year I get hooked on the singing competitions. Sometimes my ears hurt.

Although I’m an avid reader of music blogger, Bob Lefsetz, I didn’t agree recently when he said that the worst singers were on TV—the singing competitions. I don’t think they are the worst singers. I think they are wrongly presented because it all blurs together into who can wear the coolest ensemble, hit the highest, loudest notes, and hold them the longest. It’s all about the show.

And my ears hurt. Music is not all ‘glory notes.’

I even disagree, to a degree, with Taylor Hicks who has said that the competitions are visual…you have to be visual.

Often, I am sitting here and listening to TV. If I turn around to look, it’s for a good sound. It’s not stunning ensembles, short and sexy. That’s the premise that I first liked with The Voice—the blind auditions. It made sense for a singing competition. But after the chairs turn, it’s a show. It’s a competition to stage, dress, make over, and show an over-the-top, brighter and louder-than-the-other-guy stage extravaganza. Have you seen some of those killer shoes? 

Wait…this is a singing competition.  Why do I remember shoes?

Okay, entertainment is about the whole package, but the package is here and gone if the music isn’t at the center. Yes, Taylor Hicks put on a show on Idol. He rolled on the floor with Ryan Seacrest, danced with Paula Abdul, and sat on the steps singing Elvis’ “In the Ghetto.”

What was said to be his best performance on Idol? “In the Ghetto!” No theatrics, just a song done with passion.

That’s what I long to see in the competitions—a singer that connects with the music and the listeners. You don’t have to be sitting in the front row to know it.  You can be America sitting at home turning around.

As American Idol hopefuls dwindled from 20 to 10, I said I thought the girls had it this year. In the first week of the final ten, three girls were the top vote getters.

I like Kree. Forget sequins and shoes; this girl doesn’t need them. She is real. Her voice connects immediately. She is singing music she knows and loves, and that comes through. It’s a little like listening to Adele. She and the music become one. You turn around.

And I turned around when I heard Burnell. If the guys have a front runner, I think he is it.

I do agree with Mr. Hicks when he says that song choice is important. I hope the singers can make the right choices to showcase their voices and persona, but music with which they can connect—music that will be remembered.

Can we keep singing in the singing competitions? I mean no disrespect to any of them, but I frankly don’t care who the judges are. And I know that TV is about ratings. It’s too bad.

Singing competitions should be about the music. That sounds so right.

I hope America votes for the singer and the music that resonates with them…who they would turn around for.

Can we keep it real?

~~~
To all those who bring their dreams to this year’s competitions…

Hang your star on the music; it will serve you best.

If you have a Plan B, go straight to it.

If you have no Plan B and music is your life, your dream, take it from the Idol winner who inspires this place:

“Never give up.”

He didn’t when it would have been easy to…when he auditioned in Las Vegas. Now, he’s headlining there.

Take any gig. Winning is about doing what you love to do.

Keep your dreams. Keep the music.

And, as the outstanding Season Five American Idol finalist, Elliott Yamin, said,

“Sing like you mean it!”

Good luck!

~~~
Season Five American Idol winner, Taylor Hicks, keeps the music alive in his headlining gig at Paris Las Vegas.

Yes, he wears some pretty cool shirts and the boots are bad, but this show is all about the music! Check it out. Rave reviews mean shows are selling out. Get your tickets and see how this Idol does music!

http://www.parislasvegas.com/shows/taylor-hicks.html


~~~
Idol, back then: Taylor Hicks: “In The Ghetto”


~~~
Top Photo and video: Courtesy of FOX  and American Idol.

The fine print: Opinions expressed here are those of the writer.

No comments: