Sunday, March 10, 2013

Connections A Million Miles Away: Music and a Cat


Life can be so complicated. Yet, at its core, its heart, it may be as simple as music and a cat.

Pope Benedict XVI gave a last blessing to the Faithful and flew away in a white helicopter to a new life of quietude. He will take along his beloved piano and his cat. I was surprised to learn that he is an accomplished pianist and music lover.

My first connection with faith and with music was growing up in a small, white country church in the South. It was a million miles away from the Vatican.

I had never felt a connection to this great leader of people. He suddenly became real to me.

I wondered to a friend what kind of music he loves. I perhaps wrongly assumed classical and opera.

It’s funny the things you remember from school. I will never forget studying opera in junior high. That’s right. Many years ago, I had a wonderful teacher who thought the classics and opera were important to our education. We learned the tragic story of Aida and listened to the music. We knew “Carmen” and could sing “Torrr.reee.a.dorr!” In high school choir, we sang in Latin.

The music blogger, Bob Lefsetz, has said several times that music, done right, is life itself.

It is a global connection across cultures, time, and faiths.

Taylor Hicks has said it’s not about how many records you sell; it’s about how many lives you touch.

Music touches our lives. Not just in sounds and words, but in connections, sometimes unexpectedly. It is the soundtrack of our lives taking us through rough times and celebrating the good times. And it is that which we may come back to in quiet times.

I was reminded that music is a connection when there seems to be no other. I will remember the Pope Emeritus now living a quiet life…

With his music and his cat and wish him all the peace and joy they may bring.

~~~~
Thanks to Benedict, now Pope Emeritus, for an unexpected connection, a friend who shares her deep faith, Taylor Hicks who inspires us with his music, and the funny cat that shares my space!

Connections all, which make my life brighter!

What connections enrich your life?
~~~~

You can connect with roadhouse soul! Taylor Hicks, Season Five American Idol, headlines at Paris Las Vegas connecting with audiences at Napoleon’s Lounge.

Tickets:   http://www.parislasvegas.com/shows/taylor-hicks.html

His music has enriched my life.  I’d make a Vegas bet that it will enrich yours too...

No comments: