Thursday, November 11, 2010

Taylor Hicks ~~ Thank our Troops!

At the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month…

Two years ago on my way through an airport, I was in line at a Starbucks. A young soldier was behind me. In a shaky voice I told the cashier to put his food on my bill. He seemed surprised and mumbled a thank you. I replied with a choked voice, “No… thank you. It’s the least I can do.”

Taylor Hicks spends a lot of time in airports. Early one morning in March he sent these poignant tweets:

“Good morning. 30,000 feet above you all. Beautiful sunrise... Reflecting.” Mon 29 Mar 03:47 via twitter for Blackberry

“Don't ever be too shy. To tell a soldier ‘Thank You’ while you are in the airport.” Mon 29 Mar 05:37 via twitter for Blackberry

A few weeks ago I was boarding a plane on my way to the happiest place on earth. I was stopped in the center aisle waiting as those in front of me stowed their carry ons. I stood next to a young soldier in uniform seated on the aisle. I remembered Taylor’s suggestion with a knot in my throat. I wanted to thank him, but I wasn’t sure I could find my voice.

I didn’t.

I was glad when a man coming behind me put out his hand to the soldier and said, “Thank you for your service.” He was the only one. Everyone passing by that soldier should have thanked him. I VOWED that I would next time.

FOUR soldiers from my home state come home this week aboard their final flight.

I cannot forget the opportunity I had to thank that young soldier.

Now, it is too late for some.

Today is a time to remember our veterans and thank our troops!

Find your voice!

“19” is Taylor’s tribute to our troops, and it always receives a standing ovation from an emotional audience. I think that it should be here today:



Those we remember and thank today are our real heroes!

God bless our troops!

Happy Veterans Day!

Thanks to AnotherTayFan for "19" from Springfield, IL.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remembering those who have served our country through the decades AND who came home is as important as honoring those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

We need to balance our pride in our country with the determination to keep it safe from those who wish the USA and her ideals harm . The military "veteran" is/was our line of defense.

I will try to remember Taylor's words : to say thank you when the opportunity arises.

cath

KarinP said...

In Canada, our veterans can be found in large malls and stores selling poppies to support the Royal Canadian Legion. When I approach them with a donation, it is an overwhelming moment for me to look into their eyes and say "Thank You".

I can certainly understand how you would get choked up when you want and try to say a simple "thank you". It is a one of "those" moments when wonder if you will find your voice but I think it means so much to our heroes to feel appreciated. Often, there are a couple of tears from both parties. It is an unexpected truly emotional moment and isn't it wonderful that we can share such deep emotions with people we do not know.

I have always, as you know, been so impressed with the way that Taylor performs 19 - especially with the way they now finish the song. It definitely tugs at the heartstrings and I am not at all surprised that he receives standing ovations when he is finished.

I do know someone who has a daughter serving in Afghanistan now. The families and the solders give so much of themselves to stand up for what they believe is right.

Taylor is doing the right thing by encouraging all of us to say "thank you".

Bravo to you - we must all "FIND OUR VOICES". While it is the American Veterans' Day, in Canada, it is called Remembrance Day. It is the least we can do for those who do so much.

RagsQueen said...

I've lost my voice in those situations too, and other times have been able to offer a mear croak. But Taylor's right, we need to find our voice and speak up. It's a small token for what the soldiers have given up to serve our great country!