Friday, September 3, 2010

Taylor Hicks ~~ The Road to SLO


By PayTheDevil

I’ve traveled the continental United States to see Taylor Hicks perform.

I’ve sat in college gymnasiums, cavernous concert arenas, television studios, and the west terrace of the US Capitol Building while Mr. Hicks entertained. I’ve heard accents and languages that were unfamiliar, and I’ve learned that tea is both sweet and regular. Each new concert venue offered unique experiences. Without fail, the experience would be exciting, memorable, and fun. I would almost forget the grinding frustrations I would sometimes experience in airports, car rental counters, and Shoney’s after the thrill of the show had passed. When I read that Taylor was coming to San Luis Obispo, just a short drive from my current residence and a handful of miles from my parent’s vacation home, I couldn’t believe it.

Taylor was coming to SLO?

SLO. It’s the name that locals (Everyone in a 150 mile radius) have given to San Luis Obispo. Most of the county’s population lives in the quaint beach cities that dot the county’s Pacific coastline. It’s a nice place to live and the fact that 30 years ago the county fathers decided that the area should not be overbuilt, has left SLO and its neighboring cities with a sparse genteel population. There are more cows and livestock near SLO than people. The government is the number one employer in the county, and SLO has a state university on the edge of town. All of my brother’s three ex-wives were alumni of California State Polytechnic University in San Luis Obispo. We are fans of the city and the school.

After attending a meeting in Los Angeles, my brother and I took historic Highway 101 as our travel route to San Luis Obispo. While I have driven some pretty countryside in Pennsylvania and Oregon en route to a Taylor show, none can hold a candle to the view enjoyed from the cab of my brother’s Chevy pickup as we cruised past the beaches of Ventura and Santa Barbara.

As the sun was going down over the Pacific, we were on the outskirts of SLO. I was somewhat surprised by the slowing traffic. The Marsh Street exit from the 101 dumps you right in the middle of SLO, and I’ve never waited to exit the freeway. When we finally made it into the city proper we noticed what was holding up the traffic. Yup, Taylor’s big blue bus and attached cargo trailer was halting traffic on Highway 101! The bus’s driver was trying to negotiate the turn into the hotel’s parking lot, while the length of the bus brought all three lanes of traffic to a complete stop on Marsh Street and the adjacent off ramp from Highway 101. I laughed with glee as the driver finally backed the blue orca into the minuscule parking lot.

The club was just a few streets up from where we left Taylor’s now parked bus. My brother and I rolled down our windows and enjoyed the aromas of tri-tip being barbequed on oak wood in downtown SLO. Downtown always smells like grilling meet. The area is famous for the stuff. We called ahead and found out that the Downtown Brewing Co. doesn’t serve food. So, we grabbed a little of the aforementioned BBQ at a little place near the club. I didn’t want to linger too long over our meal. There were already ten people in line in front of the club.

We took our place in line at 7:30 p. m., and the little line more than tripled before the doors were opened at 8:00pm. What’s great about SLO and its proximity to my home is the fact that two cars slowed down on the street in front of the club and yelled, “Hey Heather, we wondered if you were coming over to see Taylor.” That’s what’s great about small towns, everyone knows EVERYONE. I live two hours away, and I still run into people that know I am a Taylor fan. One of my friends (a former co-worker that moved to SLO two years ago) took her children home and returned to the club.

The opening band, The JD Project was great. My friend said they had played at a local outdoor fair the weekend before. Taylor’s crew loaned a few of their instruments to the band to facilitate an easy transition between bands. The JD Project reminded me of the “Bare Naked Ladies” with a lot more soul. The band was solid and their original songs quite good. To be fair, I clapped appropriately and shouted a few “woo hoos,” but everyone there was there for Taylor. The JD Project’s short set was appreciated for its musicianship and brevity.

… Drum Roll….. Brian and crew took the stage. Taylor joined his men and led the charge.

The band sounded great in the small club with exposed brick walls. The intensity in which the band played was matched by the interior temperature of the room. SLO’s 95 degree heat on Tuesday, August 24th shattered all records for the area. You have to go back before 1919 to find another day that was warmer. Hmmm, Taylor’s in town… there’s a heat wave… just sayin’…

I was surprised and delighted to hear songs from the Rolling Stones and The Faces as part of the set list at the Downtown Brewing Co. Before August 22nd, it had been over 14 months since I had seen a show (The Roxy – Los Angeles) and I could see maturity in his performance style. Musically, the performance was stellar. Brian, Sam, Jeff, and crew delivered on every note.

There wasn’t an easy exit off the stage, so Taylor never left before the encore. I was so sad when it came to an end.

My brother purchased a CD and had his photo taken. He commented on all of the college students that had been lingering outside the venue’s open doors. He said a couple of the 20 or more college student types hanging around the front door were bitterly complaining about the price of show tickets. One young man with a very thin Velcro wallet and a $200 skateboard, tried to convince the club’s owner that Taylor would want him inside. He repeatedly said, “Hey, I voted for him,” – to which the club owner replied, “You and 100 million other folks.”

The short drive home was quiet. It was great having Taylor play so close, in such an intimate setting. I know no one would ever get rich playing in small clubs like the Downtown Brewing Co., but it meant a lot to me.



Photos by PayTheDevil.

10 comments:

Wonder said...

What a great recap, PTD! I felt like I was right there beside you. Thank you!

juliegr said...

Funny recap, PTD! That big, blue Killer Whale of a tour bus is definitely a traffic stopper. I saw the driver execute a similar tricky maneuver into a narrow alleyway next to the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA and then 2 weeks later saw it parked on a narrow street in Annapolis, MD. The alley/"parking lot" was so narrow a Tahoe SUV would have trouble in the space.


The tour has been on a hot and humid trip across the country so it is my hope the driver is getting a well deserved rest along with the band over the next two weeks.

Love your observations, photos and videos and the blog is a keeper. Thanks for sharing.

tishlp said...

I really enjoyed reading about your experience seeing Taylor in SLO. But my favorite part was the last sentence, "I know no one would ever get rich playing in small clubs like the Downtown Brewing Co., but it meant a lot to me. "

That made me smile. :)

hdey said...

Thank you for this nice story! Glad you enjoyed the heat, inside and out.

hickifino said...

Thank you, PTD, for a fun recap. I never thought about the difficulty of managing the bus with a trailer connected. What's the name of his bus driver? Congratulations are in order. Precious cargo on that bus!

WriterMarie said...

I love the recap of your adventure, Heather. I attended Taylor's show in downtown Cleveland at Fat Fish Blue, and you are so right about the smaller clubs. I will never forget seeing T perform SO up close and personal, and the entire night was magical from start to finish. I think all artists should perform at clubs from time to time, because the more intimate setting is not only wonderful for us as fans...it helps the artist experience up close just how much he has touched the lives of his fans. All of the money in the world can't buy that!

Gr8fulheart said...

Loved~Loved~Loved your recap Heather! I sat here at my desk; both hands under my chin, as I read your recap. I have also traveled highway 101 & remember the beauty in the drive. The countryside is truly captivating.

It was hard to imagine Taylor's bus trying to maneuvre it's way off the highway into a 'cracker box' area on this stop. In pictures, even the club looked quaint.
Hot inside ~ Hot outside, but I wonder how many really noticed, or even cared. Taylor was there.

I couldn't help but to feel sorry for the students listening outside, & the disappointment of the one especially, who wanted to come inside. I think I would have had to pay for an additional ticket.

Thanx for the great recap. This makes me even more 'pumped' about seeing Taylor in a few weeks.♥

KarinP said...

Thanks for the cruise down the Pacific highway, PTD. It must be nice to have lived in a small town where people know you by name.

I know no one would ever get rich playing in small clubs like the Downtown Brewing Co., but it meant a lot to me.

I don't suppose anyone would get rich monetarily by playing small clubs like the one you were at but I think that those in attendance left this concert feeling very rich. It reminds me of something Taylor said once - "It's all about the music."

Music lifts us up when we are down or troubled or simply can enrich our lives. Taylor and the Band have given so much to so many during this past month or so. It truly must be an incredible feeling to be able to accomplish this. This is a feeling that money cannot buy. An amazing "gift".

As I sit and give this some thought, it makes me wonder if going to small places or clubs could be what "good Karma" is all about. While I realize the world cannot exist without money and tours need to make money to at least cover the expenses, perhaps it takes special moments such as this one to really touch not only the audience but also warm the souls of the musicians.

I loved reading your blog and thank you for posting your videos on YouTube. While you have had many Taylor experiences, I somehow think that this one is the one you will remember for a long time.

Thanks, Heather.

san said...

It's been many years since I was in SLO, but I remember it as very quaint. Every place looked like a bed and breakfast! It was charming as was the counryside around it. Along the coast, I remember cows grazing in beautiful high land overlooking the Pacific, and I wondered if they knew what a view they had! I'm so glad to know that some of that beauty has been preserved.

Thank you so much, Heather Ann, for sharing your experience. It brought back fond memories and made some great new ones...

Anonymous said...

It's always fun to read detailed accounts of fan moments during a Hicks' concert.

I am assuming that Taylor was not behind the wheel of the bus ; even though he aspires to do so.

All Taylor fans should have adapted to the heat at this point. When has it not been hot at a Taylor gig?



cath