Thursday, September 23, 2010

Our first business--being a fan!


My first business here is being a fan of Taylor Hicks.

Sometimes life gets in the way of life. Business gets in the way of business. We blog, post, tweet, PM, DM, and take care of the business of fandom.

Not the business of being a fan…

I love the road. I hit the road early this morning for a professional meeting over three hours away. The road is my time…just me and, yes, my Taylor music! I had not even loaded my new fancy phone with new Taylor music. Besides, I still like the CD in my hand, sliding it in, and hearing those first exciting sounds. I hadn’t heard The Distance for a long time. It quickly reminded me of what this is all about.

Caution: The exciting sounds and pounding beats of music like “The Distance” can make your foot grow heavy. I was cruising through Arizona’s high country just about to sharply descend in to the beautiful Verde Valley when I glanced down at my speed. Yipes! 80 on a winding two-lane! Taylor and I were flyin’ off that mountain!

Perhaps it was that I was running away from the Google Alert that I had read first thing this morning. You know, the usual one with someone lamenting about the unsuccessful career of Taylor Hicks. Well, it seems about the same time Taylor and I were flying off the mountain, Taylor in reality was flying to the West Coast for talks about TV and film matters and then on to Washington State for a Saturday Night concert!

Take that Google!

I reacted like a fan angry that people don’t see the successes that are building a career, creating a loyal fanbase, and never forgetting that it is about the music.

I could recount the successes, but we know about them, and we know how Taylor measures success. Taylor has simply summed up his success like this:

He is a working musician.

Which brings me back to summing up my business here:

I am a fan.

Today, I got back to that. Okay, so, flying off the mountain with Taylor music wasn’t as exciting as walking to his live concert in Laughlin a few weeks ago. But it made me realize that I am first a fan. And I was really in fan heaven today when I realized that the CD I had in my car had the bonus track, “Indiscriminate Act of Kindness,” just about my all time favorite recording by Taylor!

I hope we haven’t forgotten that we were, and are, fans first…before the boards, Facebook, twitter, and blogs! I hope we all take time to be fans and that that is our first business.

And that’s what Taylor needs first…fans who will be there every day staying connected to the music that brought us here and supporting the man AND the music that keeps us here.

Together, we can be that fanbase that gives Taylor what he wants the most—a long career as a working musician.

And that’s the business of a fanbase.

So, take that Google!!!

It was fun being a fan today!!!
Thanks to RagsQueen for the cool fan photo of Taylor in Vermont.

9 comments:

Wonder said...

San, you have no idea how much I needed to read these exact words this morning. I won't bore you with the details but suffice to say there are peaks and valleys connected with being a member of Taylor's fanbase, especially when your involvement includes running a blog and message board. I've been in a deep valley these past few days and your blog has reminded me that there is always a way to climb out of something like that. All you have to do is get back to the basics and that, first and foremost and always, is the music.

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

So well said, San!

Peece

san said...

Thanks, Wonder and Peece. I know that I need to stay connected to the music and the man that are my inspiration for doing anything else in fandom. Taylor has allowed us to stay connected with him through twitter. His music is not the background for what we do...it is the focus. Yesterday was not a fluffy musical experience. It was a refocusing for me about what I am doing and why...from the google slap to flyin' off the mountain, I got a reality check and a jolt of "get your heart and soul(I refrained from saying 'ass' :)) where it belongs!"

Thanks for your comments. I hope we all keep the same "heart and soul" in our fan world that Taylor shows every time he steps onto stage. Just as he will be stepping onto that stage for a long time, we will be around as a fanbase for a long time! That's a good thing!

Anonymous said...

Am just a fan trying to remain cool in the heat of the moment.

We are all fans if we want the best for Taylor and like what he does and who he is.

Regardless of how deep you are in fandom , it is sometimes wise to sit back and fan ones personal feelings and cool the flames.

Love Taylor's music , love Taylor's performance, love Taylor,the entertainer enjoy the man who makes it all happen.

He is "fan"tastic; I am just a fan.

cath

juliegr said...

Morning to the fandom trifecta. After reading your comments, I'll add one: There are times when I'm unable to keep up with the happenings in the Taylor-world and there are even times when I lament that he doesn't give a flip that I send him a Tweet (or 4 every day. However, when I read a "Gloomgle" (mis-spelling intended) alert or a blog about failure and non-existant career I must admit to being relieved that I can't spend as much time as some people in the fandom devote to complaining, kevetching, and fighting.

I enjoy your blogs and will continue with my relaxed involvement in the fan business.

hdey said...

This is a very well written post, san, and heartfelt. Your emphasis on music as the reason for and backbone of this fan group is much appreciated.

However, I must now be harsh. Remove Taylor Hicks from your car. I'm sorry, but we simply cannot have your life placed at risk. While driving, I must ask you to listen to Tchaikovsky, or Debussy, maybe John Denver on a good day. Please reserve Taylor Hicks for home or office listening.

Your safety comes first.

san said...

HAHAHA!!! Thanks, hdey, for your concern!

HOWEVER, I feel that you ask too much! My driving time is a rare opportunity to just listen to Taylor music! PERHAPS, if I eliminate "The Distance" and "Bulletproof" from the setlist, I might be able to control my speed! PERHAPS!

I like John Denver actually and also ride with Clay Aiken, classic soul, Josh Groban...but Taylor comes first!

:)
San

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the advise hdey. I listen to book tapes. No music for me . Me bad , but feelin' good!!!

cath

KarinP said...

Excellent blog. I know how much I enjoy being in the car with a Taylor CD and country backroads when I can. It does have it's drawbacks - going a little too fast on the upbeat songs and I do get my own reality check too. I don't know about you, but, in a way, I seem to gain a "sense of freedom" on those road trips.

I, like you, have found though it is really the best time to listen and really hear the music with no distractions.

It is discouraging to read some of the articles written by those who do not take the time to research what Taylor has been doing. I try to sit back, though, and I say to myself that those people just don't get it and continue to hope that one of these days they will.

One of the things that I like about Taylor is that he does try to keep a "connection" with the fan base as best he can. It is really important to do those things, I think. Builds the base and loyalty.

In my opinion, the fans who have been "on the train" from the beginning truly understand what Taylor has been doing. He is building a career that will have longevity. He is not a flash in the pan.

I just read the article tonight on Blog Critics and it was so interesting to read. I am really excited about Taylor's future and can't wait to see what he does next.

Continue to appreciate the music, as I know you do, enjoy the ride and I think the best is yet to come!

From one fan to another - thanks for sharing your thoughts.