Sunday, November 8, 2009

Veterans Day ~~ My brothers



Both of my brothers joined the Armed Forces as teenagers—my older brother, the Air Force and my younger brother, the Navy.

Growing up in the 50s and 60s it was every young man’s duty to register for the draft when he was 18 years old. Many of them “joined up” rather than waiting to be drafted, some dropping out of high school.

My younger brother quit high school and joined the Navy and headed for El Paso, TX. He finished his education while in the Navy and served honorably on home shores, as many do today.

My older brother joined the Air Force in the 50s and was stationed at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, MS. Family vacations as we know them today, were rare for struggling families like ours. My folks did, however, take our entire family to visit my brother at Keesler. We enjoyed a real vacation along the beautiful Gulf Coast that I never forgot.

I had to be there in 2007 when the Taylor Hicks Solo Tour hit Biloxi. It was a sojourn for me to go back to the place of fond memories with my family in Biloxi. I drove along the same beach that I had with my folks when I was 13 years old. Then, it was a shore not yet ravaged by Hurricane Katrina.

When my brother finished his Air Force duty, he returned home to the Midwest and went to college on the GI bill. One of his favorite leisure activities was going to the theatre, and he took me to my first live drama when I was a teenager. He and his wife often visited New York and saw Broadway shows. When he suddenly passed away in August, 2008, I was on Broadway seeing Taylor Hicks in “Grease” –my first trip to Broadway. My brother would have loved to have been there!

I was so fortunate that my family in the military was never in harm’s way. I cannot fathom the tragedy of losing a loved one in war. I can only offer my heartfelt thanks for all those who serve and have sacrificed so much for our country.

Words simply cannot express how much we owe them.

As we join Taylor this Veterans Day in remembering and recognizing our own, I hope veterans everywhere know that we care about them and are proud of their service to our country.

With deepest thanks to our veterans and their families…

San

You are invited to share your Veterans stories in videos or blogs at http://taylorhicks.ning.com/

Taylor will be streaming select videos on Ustream and featuring your stories on his website on Veterans Day. See instructions below or visit his website.

Remember our troops and honor their service on Veterans Day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN !!

There is very little I can add to the sentiments you have expressed. I hope many of Taylor's fans will blog their "soldier's stories" and/or provide videos on his .ning site.
To all those who have given us the foundation on which to build our country : MY THANKS !!

cath

RagsQueen said...

Very nicely said.