Saturday, December 13, 2008

TAYLOR HICKS FLIES HIGH IN MICHIGAN!


Thursday night, I had the good fortune to see Taylor Hicks and "Grease" in East Lansing. What a fabulous evening! The theatre is gorgeous and the right size so that every seat is good. I had a seat right up front, so I got an excellent view of everything. And when that Teen Angel flies down, he sweeps the audience along in complete delight!

Taylor Hicks set that stage ablaze! I have seen the play on Broadway and he was awesome there. I wondered how the traveling cast and set would compare. The set was a bit less glitzy, but very well done. The new cast is superb, especially Frenchie and of course, Rizzo who remains my favorite "bad girl with a heart" character of all time.

To say Taylor Hicks stole the show is an understatement. The audience was appreciative and responsive to the entire play, but in a somewhat refined manner. When that ice cream cone opened, all bets were off! They LOVED him and rightfully so. Taylor has this role polished to perfection, yet he never loses that genuine audience connection and charm. And when Frenchie turned to him and said "I Voted For You," it brought the house down!

Taylor Hicks new music was not yet introduced, so those lucky theatre goers after the New year will be treated to that extra treasure. If you have not seen "Grease" with Taylor Hicks yet, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR????????

My full recap and other photos can be found on The Taylor Hicks Community on our message board and media board. Enjoy!

1 comment:

cath said...

I understand the Road Company has changed some songs and revived some lyrics for this production.

The Teen Angel always seems to arouse enthusiasm from the audience and Taylor Hicks is doing such a grand job making this role his own.

cath