Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Taylor Hicks ~~ Remember the White Shirt?




There was no UStream, FaceBook, or, (oh, my goodness!), Twitter…at least that I knew about.

There was only television and, finally, high-speed internet. I was a fan who knew no one, and all I could do on the internet was a Google search.

So, I searched Google for “Taylor Hicks” and went from there.

All I wanted was to see, hear, and read everything I could about the new Season Five American Idol, Taylor Hicks.

I don’t know how I got that first media I now have filling my computer. I didn’t know what a download was, let alone, an upload!

I wanted to share some of it today and I couldn’t. I didn’t know whose it was or where it came from.

See, it didn’t matter in 2006. I was a fan, alone and fumbling along.

And fumble, I did. But I was lucky to make great friends who knew more than I did. I found the fan sites and life evolved.

Now, there are websites, message boards, blogs, UStream, FaceBook, MySpace, YouTube TV, and, LOOMING-LARGE Twitter!

Yes, the mega fan gathering on Twitter. It has leveled the playing field in many ways. It is a “sharing ground.” There are talented writers and photographers. There are those with talent and wit way beyond that of which I could dream! Taylor Hicks would be one of those! And there are fans who want to hang out and connect with Taylor and other like-spirited fans.

They are the ones who really make it all work!

After all, it is about Taylor, the music, and us. In their last issue, The Soul Connection quoted Bob Lefsetz who has long championed the role of fans. He said: “Play to the fans, and they will spread the word.”

So, I would like to celebrate today being a fan--remember when you started with nothing but enthusiasm and an intense admiration for Taylor Hicks and his music. Remember your first Taylor Hicks media? (Download? Heck, if I know!!) I think mine was from one of the first Idol concerts where he would change into a crisp white shirt for the encore and play the harp on his knees! Remember? If you were here in 2006, I know you do!

It’s been a long five years…and a short five years. It’s flown by because it has been refreshing, fun, and inspiring. It’s been a long five years because we’ve come so far, learned so much, and watched that water go under the bridge.

In the end, we come back here…to being a fan. Where we started and where we must remain.

If we lose sight of what it means to EACH of us to be a fan, we’ve lost touch with our heart and soul.

Taylor Hicks continues to follow the American Dream he alluded to in the American Idol finale. That dream took him there and brings him here.

Let's not only celebrate the success of our American Idol, let's celebrate what took us to Google search in 2006 and has brought us here in 2011…the fun and joy of being Taylor Hicks fans.

Congratulations and thanks to Taylor Hicks for making it a BOOMFIYA five years!

Congratulations and thanks to all the fans for making it a BOOMFIYA five years!!!

I think I’m up for another FIVE!

How about you?

Here’s a Taylor Hicks Cabernet Sauvignon toast to seeing you here in 2016!

~~~


Photo: I do remember that this photo came from one of those great friends, Allyn. Because it is hers, thank you for not reposting.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we are the fans . Fans who joined forces to propel Taylor to a victory that would open doors that were heretofore closed.

Yes, we were enthusiastic . Our admiration for Taylor's work saw us seeking comradery in the blogs and fan sites dedicated to Mr. Hicks.

Yes we are rabid . In our continuing need to fulfill our own needs ,as well as to show continuing support for our Idol; we share our fondness for Taylor and his music with each other.

Yes , we are the fans !!

In the end; this is Taylor's life . He "makes us proud ". I just hope that in the past 5 years , we have been able to make him proud.

cath

KarinP said...

The reference to the white shirt grabbed my attention. Oh my, I do remember that white shirt!

I can relate to how you feel - back then I had never heard of "fan boards", blogs, uploading or downloading and had no idea how to create a video!

It is hard to believe that five years have passed. I am still communicating with people after all of this time and yet, I have not met most of them face to face yet. Still, through Taylor Hicks and American Idol, we continue to share a friendship and a mutual admiration of the music.

Memories - how sweet they are. An appreciation for the music continues to thrive. Many more "miles" to travel and I am looking forward to watching the careers of the Season 10 contestants unfold.

Sincere thanks for the memories and thanks to Taylor because without him, I would still be in the "dark" about all of the new things I have learned during the past few years.