Sunday, October 17, 2010

Taylor Hicks at Epcot ~~ And the kid in all of us!


“Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Auerbach

I was taking my dust and going to Epcot Center to see Taylor Hicks.

Even airports are quiet and uncrowded at 3:30 in the morning. I’m not sure why I had to book a flight that LEFT at 5:00 a.m. That meant a 2:00 wake up! But 18 hours later, it would justify the “it’s-been-a-long-day” pomegranate and peach punch cocktail at dinnertime.

The sun coming up outside an airplane window is always beautiful especially when you are flying to the happiest place on earth. Even from way out West and with a connecting flight, it was clear that this flight was going to Disney World.

There were happy children everywhere! So many that they did not board those with children first. The hard-working airline counter person said, “They’ll be all over the place.” He needed more Starbucks.

Delta is not the only one. There was a delay in Houston on Continental! But it was short, and we were soon over the Gulf of Mexico and approaching the western coast of Florida.

Orlando is a town owned by the mouse. He’s on the busses and the favorite graphic everywhere is the pair of black circles—the famous ears! I remember the Mouseketeers! I was feeling good about myself when I stepped onto a crowded transportation bus that said “VIP” on the front. Apparently a lot of important people were going to my hotel.

I wanted to take pictures of Taylor in concert with my new fancy phone and send them out to the world, so I started practicing on the bus. As we passed a Disney World sign I snapped it and looked at the plain green bushes I had captured. I heard an uproarious laugh from the seat next to me. I turned around and this nice looking lady, who obviously had been watching my failed efforts, was laughing! I laughed too and told her, “That’s not very nice.” She said she guessed my camera wouldn’t take pictures from a moving object. No kidding. Well, how was I suppose to capture a moving Taylor target on stage? I did finally capture an Epcot sign and turned to the laughing lady who was now talking on her phone. I put my picture right in her face determined to show off my final success.

The Evening News doesn’t play here. I mean there is no sign of recession or cares of the world. This is like being dropped into the world’s most beautiful and happiest playground for the young and not so young. As I stood in line to check in, young, happy staff people were painting pink hearts on young faces. I swear, I thought about getting my face painted. I mean, why NOT? I was in Disney World!

After airport and airplane food, I was looking for something better when I ran into that pomegranate and peach punch. I knew “punch” would mean a tall, cool glass. It HAD been a long day. It also ENDED my long day quickly when I returned to a very comfortable hotel bed.

Pictures don’t do justice to the Epcot Experience. I knew with the Taylor Experience starting in the afternoon, I would only have time to see one park. On the first day we only made it as far as the American Experience, which was our destination anyway. There was a wonderful patriotic drum and fife corps presentation outside and a stage diorama inside depicting our nation’s history. In front of the American Gardens Theatre was the placard for “Eat to the Beat” concert series with “Taylor Hicks.”

I‘m not good at standing in lines except to get good seats at a Taylor Hicks concert. The food lines were endless in the international pavilions. I was delighted to find no line at the American Experience and inside, barbecued pork and iced tea! It was also a chance to sit down for a while. Then it was time for THE line. There are those who are always first in line for any Taylor Hicks concert, and they were. There is a “line culture” where you meet people for the first time and see others you haven’t since the last line. It was fun and a respite from the sun and heat of Epcot on this day. It was all worth it for front row seats near center at the first Saturday show.

Three shows take you from bright sunshine on the stage at first to bright stage lights after dark. It makes for interesting pictures with the changing light. Taylor did his Epcot leap onto stage made famous and captured last year in a memorable photo by hootiegal. I didn’t catch it! I scarcely caught a few good shots of the moving target for which I had so diligently practiced on the bus.

The theatre seated approximately 1,000 and was packed for all six shows. On Sunday evening they asked everyone to move to the center so that more people could be seated. We sat different places to get a different camera angle, but with my limited photography talent, it didn’t make much difference!

The minute that Taylor stepped off the stage from one show, and as quickly as we could politely push our way through the crowds, we headed back to the line for the next show.

Six lines, six shows, 48 hours—I’d do it again this weekend!

We got an earlier start on Sunday and made the circle around to all the international pavilions before the first concert. We had time to do some shopping and even got into France’s pavilion for lunch. The circular vision of Canada’s presentation was beautiful and breathtaking. It was as close as you could get to being a bird. The wares of Morocco were enticing, but I passed on the belly dancing attire. Too much bling.

Back in the concert line on Sunday, we happened to be behind a very nice couple from the area who were Taylor “first timers.” She had seen Taylor on American Idol and wanted to see him in concert. We gave them the Birmingham-Broadway-Epcot Taylor history as we chatted and waited for the first show and assured her that “this won’t be anything like American Idol!” The Taylor fans actually made up a small part of the crowds each night. He reached out to a large number of potential new fans in two evenings at Epcot. He entertained the park’s visitors on this holiday weekend with a new American Experience…and it wasn’t American Idol!

It was a fast, fun-filled forty eight hours! One more experience remained—the tradition of my friend who must always have a large—make that extra large—soft ice cream cone when she goes to Epcot. A late dinner place happened to offer soft ice cream. She ordered “extra large” and I went along with it. This was the largest ice cream cone I had seen since the last time I was at “Grease!” Ice-cream pimpin’ Teen Angel would have been proud!

Flavor of the night: the swirl!
~~~

A final reflection:
Taylor said after Epcot: “See you next year!” and many of us vowed to return. If Taylor is there and I possibly can, I will go back.

Life is fleeting…uncertain. We were reminded this week that each day should be lived!

Matt Kimbrell will always be a part of our Epcot experience, and although he can’t be there next year, we will remember his music.

It was fitting that his last performance was in the happiest place on earth. He was doing what made him happy. It is his legacy…

Do what makes you happy!

I should have gotten my face painted...


~~~

Thanks to Mouser and Wonder for the two stunning photos of Taylor at Epcot!

Here's my "Epcot Elvis" ...


For my take on the music of Epcot, see below, “Taylor Hicks at Epcot” Part 1.


5 comments:

RagsQueen said...

Life is fleeting and the Mouse House is full of happiness - I too wish I had visited the face painter. The work was beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Just wonderful, San! It really was an amazing weekend, although it went by too quickly!

Peece

tishlp said...

Wonderful recap of your adventure at Epcot. I really, really, really want to make it next year. I may not be a "first timer" for a Taylor Hicks concert, but I would really like to be a "first timer" for the Taylor Hicks Epcot Experience. :)

Gr8fulheart said...

I'm thrilled to hear Taylor was asked to return next year. More & more people are beginning to see the 'real' Taylor Hicks & his God-given ability to entertain all ages. Loved hearing the place was packed for all shows!

Thanx so much San, for the wonderful detailed recap. Would love to be there, but like many, we must live the experience through others.

To everyone who shared their videos & pictures: THANK YOU♥

Anonymous said...

The weather was perfect, the company was grand, the food was wonderful and the music coming from the stage at the American Theatre was THE BEST.

Taylor's performance brought out so many people who were not "into Taylor as we are " and most all came away with a smile on their face and a positive comment.

The top five attendance draws usually get an automatic request to reappear at Epcot; sure hope Taylor is among them and says YES to the invite.

Epcot is so unique . No other venue has such a diverse / global built in potential audience.

Always love your recaps San !!!

cath