Wednesday, May 26, 2010

American Idol ~~ Life changer?



I wondered what Taylor Hicks was thinking as he sat at the American Idol Finale tonight on the other side of the stage. He has been backstage on this night waiting to know if his life would change.

We are in the Life Changing Era…we have life changers…life coaches…telling us how to change our lives. We can be famous, wealthy, slim, healthy with the right life changing “strategies.”

We didn’t have life changers when I was growing up. We just “grew up.” We went to church, got married, had children, worked hard, and tried to be a good person.

Some strove to become famous, like Elvis. He made it, and then it destroyed him. He didn’t have a life changer coach.

Don’t misunderstand. I am for changing your life for the better however you can accomplish it. I just wonder if we have thought this to death, and it has become too complicated. Isn’t it really about having a dream and working hard to achieve it?

There is a band that I ran into on twitter. I followed them simply because their website said something like this:

We dream and then we get up every day and go out and work hard to make it happen.

Is it about a big break? Or is it about getting ready for opportunities?


Music blogger, Bob Lefsetz, has frequently written about how many years the superstars of today worked in out of the way places before they made it. They paid their dues and without those years they would not be the performers they are today.

Isn’t that what Taylor Hicks did? American Idol was just the recognition of his ten years of working hard in clubs and bars to become the performer that made him Season Five winner in 2006.

I don’t think dreams end. There is always another one. Taylor has said he wants to be a working musician, to entertain. The stages may be different, but his life dream is the same. We know what music means to him…his life, his savior.

I just watched Taylor walk onto the Idol stage again with the coolness of a seasoned performer, a smile, and a sparkle in his eye. It didn’t start with Idol. He had been preparing for tonight’s opportunity for well over ten years. He took his place among the other Idols. A place he earned with a dream and hard work.

I know a lot is said about a dream and hard work. But that is pretty much what a life changer is.

American Idol just provides the stage.

This year’s new young Idol said his music and entertaining is what he will always do. I think he took a page from Taylor’s book.

Taylor, you always stand out on any stage. Tonight, you did the Idol stage and your fans proud!

Keep the dream! And go out tomorrow and make it happen!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We tend to over analysis everything today and form committees to investigate every event that occurs, trying to determine why and who is to blame.
Stuff happens. Everyone wants a little luck or karma or fate to intervene in their lives and give them the boost needed to successfully jump life's hurdles. Everyone wants to follow a dream, but often are sidetracked with everyday responsibility causing those dreams to fade or worse, become unattainable nightmares.

Hard work. determination and knowng that when opportunity "knocks" , one should not hesitate to act ,are essential to fulfilling one's dream.

Life always makes change necessary , but it is those who have the will, courage and strength to carve out their "niche", without regret, who are usually able to find happiness.
Taylor has done that. He has luck, will, courage and the strength to take advantage of his opportunities and he has found that dreams do come true.


cath

KarinP said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog. You present some very good questions to think about.

You are absolutely right - we did not have "life changers" and we did grow up. I think that what may perhaps separate those who chase the dreams and those who just "live" is the wisdom of knowing when a door opens and having the courage to walk through it. If one can recognize the open door as an opportunity, I think that is half the battle.

Sometimes we don't have a choice - we just have to "live" life. I often admire those who have aspirations of not settling. Sometimes, I wonder how many open doors I did not notice for myself.

I don't think dreams "end" either but I do think that they can change. Life is about choices - we all have to make them.

Each person determines the level of their success by different measurement sticks. Sometimes I think that the perfect dream realization is one where you can do what you love to do; live a very comfortable life and at the end of the day, be happy that you may have made someone else's life a little happier today.

When the dream is solely perpetuated on fame and fortune, I think it may not always turn out the way you think it will. It reminds me of the saying "be careful what you wish for".

I think that a recent quote that I read in an article from Taylor reinforced what I am trying to say:

"I don't think that success should be measured by how many records you sell, but by how many lives you can touch."


In the end, as citizens of this world, I think Taylor sums it up quite nicely. For me, his music has taken me through some interesting moments and I have no doubt that he will walk through many "open" doors in the future.

And yes, I would certainly love to know what was going through Taylor's mind when the new Idol was announced.

san said...

Thanks, Cath and Karin for reading and for your thoughtful comments.

I don't think we can ever define "success." It is relative and unique to each individual. Taylor is the only one who can define success for him. And according to him, it isn't selling records. Bravo, Taylor!

RagsQueen said...

I like Taylor's take on success - it's about touching lives. I have to agree with that. When I look back on my life, the people I remember are the ones who helped shape me as I grew up or older or wiser.

Taylor took a giant step trying out for American Idol. It was probably a big leap outside his comfort zone considering his shyness. Could I have done that? No way. But he did, and that step changed a lot of lives, including his fans.

I've heard it said that the only person who likes change is a wet baby. Sometimes change is painful; sometimes it's fun; othertimes it's just plain confusing. But it comes. We can't stop it. We can only accept it and make of it what we can.

I for one am glad Taylor took the step. I love his music and voice. And I look forward to the next chapter! Thanks for the ride!