Thursday, December 31, 2009

Taylor Hicks ~~ Keeping it simple


I’ve made all the usual resolutions:

Lose weight. Eat healthy. Save money.

I have even gone through the ritual of writing them down.

And the usual happened. I made a little progress and went on doing what I had been doing.

I’ve thought about this new year. What do I want to accomplish? Is "accomplishment" what my life is about now?

I read a music blogger. When I saw the subject line: “Leukemia,” I didn’t open it for a day, perplexed by that rather unusual subject line. When I did, it was stunning.

In his usual staccato style, he started with:

“I’ve got it.”

Life is never predictable. We may think so—for a while.

My music blogger is still writing about the music that he loves.

And I am reminded not to waste my time.

It’s an old story. Something happens, and we realize that we need to make every moment count. There are no guarantees.

How do we do that—make the minutes, the days count? We have responsibilities that rob us of precious time for the things we love. We are drawn into frays, unpleasantness, and stress. Life happens.

I’m not so sure how we do it, but we first have to want to. We must want to stay out of that gray funk that keeps us from seeing the beauty.

This music blogger started writing more blogs than ever, and in one made reference to the California sun setting in the West and the moon rising in the East. He sees the beauty. He listens to good music and shares his love of it.

So, I’m not going to write down any resolutions.

I do have one though. It is simple and probably one that many of you already do. I don’t. There are a lot of poor reasons why I don’t.

My resolution for 2009 is simply this:

Listen to music every day.

It doesn’t have to be the music of Taylor Hicks, although that is abundant in my home, car, and computer. What’s important is that I find time every day to enjoy music.

In a blending of generations on Christmas Eve, my son and I wrapped presents and listened to Van Morrison. It was a simple time, a happy time.

That’s what I want to change this year. I want to make time to be happy every day.

Give yourself a New Year’s present. Don’t resolve to do something that will bring stress or responsibility no matter how beneficial the results may be.

Rather, resolve to do something you love, something that will bring you joy. Resolve to be happy every day, if only for a little while! The rest of the day will be better too!

“There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.” Robert Louis Stevenson

I wish us all a truly “happy” new year. Let’s make it a good one!



My first musical indulgence for 2010 is "Whomp at the Warfield," by, yes, Taylor Hicks!

See more about Taylor's first live performance DVD in my blog below.


Reference and quote is from “Leukemia,” a recent blog by Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter, http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/


Photo by RagsQueen, Taylor Hicks at High Noon Saloon, 12.11.09

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are millions of Bob Lefsetz ' that will emerge during 2010 and I am sure that we will all know some of them. To them , I want resolution to their health issues and to those who remain resolute about their resolutions for the New Year, I give kudos . People who are able to see and appreciate the simple things in life, I applaud. I wish I were more like them.

My resolutions for the past several years have been to not make resolutions. I would like to be able to live each day as if it were my first and as if it were my last; that way I can continually learn new things for no particular reason except that I want to.

I wish Mr. Lefsetz well !!!He is a fun read and musically astute.

cath

wonder said...

Wonderful blog, San!

I don't do resolutions anymore. Got tired of breaking them. But I do make an effort to do at least one thing a day that brings me joy. And that thing is almost always music. It's good for the soul. :)

Happy New Year to one and all!

KarinP said...

Wonderful thoughts to start of 2010 with San.

I am not one who makes resolutions either. Life does have a way of reminding us that there are no guarantees that tomorrow will come.

My wish for all, as unrealistic as it is, would be for everyone in this world to get along. Let "Peace" reign and no more horrible headlines on the news. I am so tired of hearing bad things.

I want to hear about good things. I learned a few years back that one needs to take the time to enjoy life; the little things; sunsets, nature and taking the time to stop and smell the roses.

Enjoy the "Blue Moon" tonight wherever you are. It is rare to have a Blue Moon on New Year's Eve.

Wishing everyone the very best in 2010 and may the year bring you all of the things that will make you happy.

Karin

san said...

Thanks, Everyone, for your thoughts.

I am looking at the Blue Moon outside my window as I read your comment, Karin. It is a simple, but stunning view.

San

Anonymous said...

San, a wonderful idea and one that I think I will try to borrow.

Hoping that 2010 brings many incidents of happiness and joy to you!

Peece