Sunday, September 6, 2009

Taylor Hicks meets the "toughest crowd" in Texas


I doubt that Taylor Hicks checked the list of co-stars as he appeared on Good Day Dallas on Fox 4 last week.

I doubt that he expected to meet his “toughest crowd” in a Dallas TV studio when he appeared on the same stage as Burt, the basset hound.

Burt, a paunchy, mostly white basset hound mix, stars in a CPR program in Dallas and appeared in a segment on Good Day Dallas when Taylor was there to promote “Grease” and sing “Seven Mile Breakdown.”

As the show wrapped up, the laid back Burt lounged on the floor, and Taylor accepted the challenge to entertain the relaxed pooch. Neither harp, poking, nor “Hound Dog” serenade in true Elvis style could rouse Burt, the perfect example of the resting heartbeat.

Taylor joked, “What a tough crowd!”

Nothing keeps us grounded like our animals. They don’t care that we are Season Five American Idol Winner, a platinum certified recording artist, or Teen Angel starring in “Grease.” None of that impressed Burt who could not be won over.

What if we could accept and know people without their titles?

Before the titles, who was Taylor Hicks? He was a singer, songwriter and entertainer. I think he would be happy to be accepted just that way. In Dallas, even that didn’t make it with Burt!

Taylor performed a rousing “Seven Mile Breakdown” with harp and a stunning black guitar.

It is assumed that Burt slept through the performance.

I don’t know why we love the unexpected so much. Perhaps it is because life sometimes becomes predictable. Animals remind us that life is not and that they are who they are, no matter what.

And then there was also the goat!

Taylor took the bull by the horns (or was that a different day?) and tweeted a good-natured review of the events shortly after the appearance:

“Goat Milker, Dog Whisperer, and Cattle Driver..John Henry move over...”

It was just a day in the life of the singer, songwriter, goat milker, dog whisperer…

It made us smile…and appreciate the unexpected!

(Photos courtesy of Good Day Dallas FOX4. Thanks for the smiles!)

7 comments:

Gr8fulheart said...

Smile My Foot! I was in stitches. The look on Burt's face alone, told the whole story. "I'm SOOOO not impressed!" Imagine poor Burt, having to live with the fact that he is a production of a Great Pyrenese & Bassett Hound. Would that make Your day? And, the look & smiles on Taylor's face, were priceless. Tough Crowd? Aren't the simple things in life beyond describable!!!
I loved this ~ maybe, even a little bit more than 'Boza Buckets'?...lol
Great interview ~ Great song ~ Great finale!...lol Thanx, Taylor. for the additional unexpected entertainment♥

RagsQueen said...

I'm still waiting to see the "Cattle Driver" part of the tweet! It was fun watching Taylor attempt to engage the dog, and in the end check to make sure the dog was even alive!

Great blog entry to remind us of why we enjoy Taylor Hicks so much!

san said...

Thanks for your comments! I always think we can use more smiles.

The smiles just kept coming this day.

Thanks, Taylor and Burt...and Ms. Goat...

sallyannlady said...

No matter how many times I watch that clip, I can't help but smile- Burt just couldn't care less, and when he finally DID show a spark of life, he got a great big rub from Taylor, whose grin just exploded all over his face. Love it when things just happen on the spot- makes for great TV.

juliegr said...

I love to see Taylor do the impromptu stuff.

That was def "Must See TV"!

:)

Anonymous said...

This was so funny. Taylor Hicks at his best--a treasured moment. Not only brought a smile to my face but laughter from my heart. This type of humor is not only entertaining, it is so Taylor. Still laughing! toffee

OBG said...

I have an old friend who is a Texas native but now lives in New York-When I sent them this clip they CALLED me and asked where I got it=I told them

Three weeks later they came through town briefly and told me
I"m still laughing about the goat and the hound dog thing"

Some things are just too priceless for words-and they only happen once!!