Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Pause in Our Usual Programming

If you are a regular at the blog or our boards/website, you will know that I don't venture much off of the subject of Taylor Hicks. After all, that is why they were created. However, occasionally something so great comes along that you cannot help but share it. And, I believe, this could be a Whomp candidate. Not only do I think Taylor would gladly step aside, I bet he would have loved to be there, harmonica in hand.


Years ago, when I lived in the French Quarter, Grandpa Elliot was a fixture in Jackson Square across from Cafe du Monde, and he provided wonderful music while you had morning coffee.



From the Playing For Change Website

Stand by Me
Four years ago while walking down the street in Santa Monica, CA the voice of Roger Ridley singing “Stand By me” was heard from a block away. His voice, soul and passion set us on a course around the world to add other musicians to his performance. This song transformed Playing For Change from a small group of individuals to a global movement for peace and understanding. This track features over 35 musicians collaborating from all over the world. They may have never met in person, but in this case, the music does the talking
.


And be sure to visit the Playing For Change website .... they have a great rendition of A Change is Gonna Come, which we have all heard, and their newest is God Bless America.

http://www.playingforchange.com


I hope this makes you smile and feel as good as it did me when you watch it.

5 comments:

KarinP said...

This is a "pause" that I was very happy to see. Who can resist "Stand by Me"? Music is a Universal language and we can only hope that some day "Playing for Change" will achieve it's goal and humanity will finally "bridge the distance".

In the meantime, after watching these videos for a few months now, I went to their website after reading your blog and purchased a copy of the CD/DVD. A worthy cause to support and the music is great.

Thanks!

jcitysoul said...

Thank you sooooo much for posting this. I had chill bumps the entire time. If you weren't moved by this video then you're not moveable.

It is definite proof that music is the universal language.

wonder said...

Thanks so much for sharing this video with us! I, too, was in goosebumps by the time it ended. Good stuff!

san said...

Music is the great unifier--the universal voice. I thought of Taylor's "The Distance" when I saw this.

Thanks, Evancol, for bringing this to us. It definitely made me smile.

Pat said...

I enjoyed this 'pause' very much - it was a delight to watch the video and listen to this music, which is -- as the rest of the comments say -- the universal language!

Thanks so much for giving us all something unique and moving - as san says, it also made me smile!