Saturday, June 27, 2009

Taylor Hicks~~leave me with the music...


It always comes down to the music. There is nothing more central to Taylor Hicks—it IS his heart and soul. There was just Taylor and the music last week at The Magic Bag in a rare acoustic performance.

“For me, you can take it all. But leave me with the music.” Taylor Hicks

There was no Eric Clapton band or dancing among the cords and equipment. There might have even been a partially dry shirt at the end of this show. Yet, from the reviews and comments of those who attended, it was “the best.” It stood the “unplugged” test…no frills, fancy production, or plugged in band instrumentation. The layers between the artist and the music were torn away and the audience was taken away by the pure voice of Taylor Hicks and his music.

The varied set list did not disappoint. It included music not seen on the concert stage before—“Maybe You Should” and “Indiscriminate Act of Kindness,” both with lyrics of intense emotion. “Nineteen” –the story of an American hero that Taylor dedicates to our troops—always gets a hushed reaction.

There were delightful surprises like the tag of “Sugaree” and James Taylor’s “Copperline.” Shades of American Idol Tour, there was “Don’t Let Me Down,” a big time favorite from the start of this journey. It is still near the top of my favorites list. And I understand from an SOS board member who was on the front row, that the most fun song to SEE was “Wedding Day Blues.” It only takes a little imagination to visualize this one!

Taylor and the music:
The Distance
I Live on a Battlefield
The Runaround
What's Right is Right
~Copperline-James Taylor
Don't Let Me Down-Beatles
The Deal
Wedding Day Blues
Once Upon a Lover
Nineteen
Gonna Move-Paul Pena
~Soul Serenade-King Curtis
~Sugaree-Grateful Dead
Indiscriminate Act of Kindness
Maybe You Should

Encores~
My Sweet Lord-George Harrison
Seven Mile Breakdown
Feeling Alright-Joe Cocker

And Taylor Hicks always gives more. His striking vocals were complemented by outstanding hometown musicians Brian Less on keyboards, formerly of The Taylor Hicks Band, John Kulinich on guitar, from Rollin in the Hay, and Jason Parker on bass, from The Wayne Mills Band.

There is no doubt of the connection between Taylor and his music. It is evident to all who hear him. This blogger praises it in her review of “Indiscriminate Act of Kindness.”

“…Taylor Hicks owns this song by virtue of his articulation. The sparsity of instrumentation balances the singer’s remarkably tender yet deeply profound delivery.” (Kathleen Felleca, writeonnewjersey)

What started when he was five years old remains his passion, his life.

It all comes down to the music, and it played in a stunning reveal, front and center at the Magic Bag!

Shadow tour performances are coming to Atlanta and Birmingham.

Give yourself a gift, and go!


Photo courtesy of Wonder, 6.22.09 The Magic Bag, Ferndale, Michigan

6 comments:

caryl said...

I'm feeling frustrated. I LOVE watching Taylor perform. It's often the perfect storm of voice, lyrics, melody and execution. But I just can't travel to go see a show.

Knowing that he's going to be RIGHT HERE, in the town where I live, only to sing one song (BSD) over and over makes me want to cry. I don't get to have the experience everyone had at The Magic Bag.

I'm frustrated and feeling sorry for myself. And I can't seem to shut up about it! lol!

But still, it's a shame that one of his most ardent MUSIC fans won't be able to support one of these shows. I think we should all start a campaign to convince Taylor to sing for me while he's in Houston. I've been a good little fan. C'mon, let's all work together to make this happen!! Whadda ya say??!!

*crickets*

Ah, well. It was worth a shot.

san said...

Caryl, I think we all feel your frustration when we DON'T see a performance.

Gotta say, it just makes it sweeter when we DO!

Thanks for sharing...frustration and all! Good luck on that campaign. If it suceeds, you'll have lots of company! :)

Happy weekend, Everyone!

cath said...

Those fans who have actually seen Taylor perform in a small intimate venue like The Magic Bag, are limited. We , who have not had that pleasure are in the majority. However, through the recaps , pictures and when permitted, audio and video, we have been able to live vicariously through the words and eyes of those so blessed.

While I want desperately to experience " small venue Taylor", I am mindful of the need for Taylor to expand his creativity and let the juices flow in many different areas of entertainment.

Whether he is in musical theater, acting in a drama or comedy, touring with a band, performing at a special event , giving extemporaneous snippets on radio and TV interviews or showcasing his talent in the smallest of venue; I am glad that he is doing what he wants to do .


Thanks San for sharing your thoughts .

havingfun said...

I always enjoy your blog posts, Sans !!

((((( Caryl )))))

I'm with you girl !!
Hey - Let's not give up hope yet.
Houston? Maybe not.
But an Austin show is still a dream.

caryl said...

Well, you're right. Austin is a very cool music town. It's just frustrating to know that voice will be right here, within driving distance, and I can't hear it sing.

Well, you know what, havingfun? Maybe we'll get to see him on our local TV stations singing a song or two. that would be fun.

san said...

Thanks, havingfun. I enjoy writing here. It's the subject!

If someone had told me three years ago I'd be writing a blog, I would have said they were crazy!

It's fun.

Thanks, Everyone, for reading! I hope it is as much fun for you to read about Taylor as it is for me to write about him!